Have you ever lost your luggage? Never again!
Novicod’s Embedded Connectivity provides unprecedented levels of accuracy, minimising human and machine errors
Airports and airlines struggle with an annual Multi-Billion Dollar issue on lost luggage. Every year, airlines lose between 30-40 Million bags. Existing systems allow “slippage” of low percentage point, but consumers aren’t satisfied with statistics. Passengers rely on their airline to deliver their luggage to the same destination it was sent to, without exceptions.
Novicod’s RFID baggage tagging solutions have been tested and proven at one of the busiest airports in the world. Frankfurt Airport, ranked at 11th in the world in annual passenger traffic, provides services to close to 60 Million passengers per annum1.
Accuracy exceeds 99%
(RFID) tags are widely viewed within the aviation industry as the long-term replacement to the traditional barcode tag. The tags have already been adopted in the baggage handling arena at both Milan Malpensa and Lisbon airports and the read rate has consistently been in excess of 99 per cent.
Lufthansa and Frankfurt Airport have decided to focus specifically on this matter and thanks to the joint efforts between the airline and the airport, the project, which is part of the International Air Transport Association’s (IATA) Baggage Improvement Programme (BIP), has led to a 40 per cent reduction in temporarily mishandled baggage.
Airports prefer RFID technology
- RFID systems enable more accurate tracking of baggage through an airport and more efficient loading and unloading of planes.
- Airport RFID systems help reduce lost luggage and improve on-time departures resulting in lower costs and greater passenger satisfaction.
With no line-of-sight requirement and the ability of RFID tags to be read while moving, in any orientation, from 4 feet away, RFID provides significant benefits over bar codes.
- RFID-based systems are more reliable, achieving average read rates of more than 97% compared to barcodes at about 85% on average.
- RFID baggage tagging can provide improved security with an additional level of identification and connection of baggage to the passenger.
One of direct benefits, measured at one of the busiest airports in the world, Hong Kong International Airport, showed baggage handling costs dropped from $7 to $4 per bag with RFID inlay solution.
A few components are required to enable this interactivity
- Digitally tagged luggage. Novicod technology provides digital tagging at a fraction of the cost of standard RFID tags. Digital tagging will replace the existing barcode printer at the check-in counter.
- Closed information network, able to read and analyze luggage location, temperature and other metrics. Integration with existing airport management systems and is quite simple and inexpensive
- Internet connection – to enable consumer interactivity with their luggage, enabling passengers to use mobile applications to track and find their belongings.
OUR TECHNOLOGY PROVIDES END-TO-END SOLUTION, FROM THE RFID TAGS ASSIMILATED ON ANY PACKAGING OR LABEL MATERIAL, THROUGH THE INFORMATION SYSTEM, TO THE CONSUMER’S MOBILE APPLICATION.
To see how you can increase luggage handling efficiency & tracking accuracy, whilst reducing lost-luggage costs, contact us for an obligation free discussion.
|Track and Trace||End-to-end track and
trace capabilities to reduce luggage mishandling.
|Data Accuracy||Luggage description, including color, weight, shape and special
handling or delivery notes is associated with the individual luggage item,
supporting simpler and more effective reporting capability, for greater
|Reduced cost||Significant reduction in lost luggage direct and indirect costs and staff
costs (mistakes, human errors).
|Reduced theft||Digital,boundaries, geo-location per item, and quick recovery.|
|Passenger interactivity||Using Smartphone applications, passengers can use Airport’s wifi network
to quickly locate their carousel and all luggage items.
1 Based on Airports Council International's figures.